Detailed Step-by-step Guides for Onboarding
For tuition centre owners who plan to roll out online tuition as one of your services, this article guides you in a structured, systematic process to bring all your staff (admin, tutors) and students on board as easily and quickly as possible. You may wish to draw up your organisation's internal Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs), adapting from our suggestions below.
Determine Structure of Your Organisation and Rooms
Structure your organisations and rooms on ClassDo based on the existing structure of your tuition centre. For example, if your tuition centre has multiple branches, you can consider creating a separate organisation for each branch so that the billing and members of each branch are managed separately. Alternatively, you can also create a single organisation for all the branches to manage everything in one place.
Then create a virtual room for each physical class group that you have in your existing physical centre, and invite the relevant tutor and students into each virtual room. For instance, if you currently run 50 classes at your centre every week, you should similarly create 50 virtual rooms in your organisation on ClassDo.
Learn more about structuring organisations and rooms.
Set Up Organisation Administration for Staff Self-Learning
Before embarking on staff self-training, ensure that
- you have created your tuition business organisation on ClassDo
- you have registered your payment method successfully (IMPORTANT: completing this step will unlock up to 20 hours of free live video collaboration worth US$20 into your new organisation account for your free trial)
- you have created mock lesson rooms for your admin and teaching staff
- you have invited your staff and assigned them roles to their respective rooms.
If you have chosen the organisation type "Tuition Centre/ Enrichment School" when creating your organisation, by default, only the organisation owner will be able to access the billing and payment page to register the payment method. You can change existing default roles to allow your admin staff to be able to access your billing and payment page if you like.
We recommend that you assign your admin staff to take charge of room creation and room invites as it involves handling of contact details of your tutors and students.
Familiarise with ClassDo through Self-Learning and Role-play
To familiarise yourself, your admins and tutors with using ClassDo, go through all relevant sections of ClassDo Help Centre under the I'm An Organisation Owner/Admin, Technical Requirements and Best Practices collections. Our comprehensive help articles with detailed step-by-step instructions and screen shots will guide you in your self-learning.
We also strongly recommend that your tutors get hands-on practice with online teaching through mock lessons and role-playing with one another in the test rooms created, BEFORE conducting any actual online lessons with your students. For example, each staff can take about 15 to 20 minutes to practise being a tutor, while the other staff role-play as students. Admins can switch the roles around after 15 to 20 minutes as the tutor role has more admin rights or permissions to control the room usage, such as activating Presentation mode.
Plan Your Lesson Workflow
Get your tutors to draw up their online lesson plans. They may wish to use our sample lesson workflow as a basic guide which they can customise to suit the needs of their subjects and teaching styles.
Conduct Pilot Lessons with Trial Classes
Pilot online lessons can be carried out with one or two classes of students on a smaller scale, such as one room of five to 10 students. Multiple tutors can sit in on these sessions to observe, if you like.
Complete Organisation Administration for All Students
Before starting the mass onboarding process, ensure that
- your admin has created all necessary rooms and named them according to your physical centre class groups
- your admin has sent out room invites to all your students to their respective rooms. If you are adopting physical onboarding session below, all you need your students to do at home is to check the devices that they are going to use for the online lessons against our technical requirements and also check their internet speed from the spot at home that they are going to take the online lesson from. They do not need to log onto ClassDo yet.
Physical Onboarding Sessions at Your Centre
During the physical lesson:
- Get students to log onto ClassDo.com on their devices, based on the method of room invite that your admin has sent out, and create their ClassDo accounts.
- Select the correct room they belong to. Click Enter Room, then Work with others: ✔ Videochat on this device. Run the auto device test.
- Provide a short orientation of the virtual room tools and features to your students.
- Point students to ClassDo Help Centre's "I'm a User" collection of self-help articles which they can refer to guide them in using our virtual room. If they encounter any problem with using ClassDo, they can also access troubleshooting solutions instantly at their fingertips by searching on our Help Centre.
If you plan to onboard your students remotely, online, read our best practices for onboarding new members.
All set, ready, go!
You have now completed your onboarding process. At this point, you can choose how to roll out the online tutoring. You can opt to:
- switch to 100% online tutoring from the next lesson onwards
- split your classes like how corporate businesses carry out their business continuity plan. Some classes can be done online one week while others can remain offline in the physical centre. The following week, switch over. In this way, classes can do online tutoring on a rotation basis.
- use ClassDo as an edtech learning platform in your physical classroom, if you do not want to adopt online tutoring right away.
- Online tutoring can form part of your contingency planning. To prepare for immediate rollout of online tutoring as and when necessary, we strongly recommend that you use ClassDo in their normal physical lessons.
- In the physical classroom lesson, you can upload and run your teaching slides from the virtual room, and make your notes and annotations on your uploaded documents directly onscreen in the room. Your students will be able to focus on listening to your teaching and explanation during lesson, putting the priority back on learning and not copious note-taking.
- After lesson, they can easily access all the autosaved documents and notes in one place anytime for easy revision by logging into the virtual room.
- Using ClassDo in your physical classroom gives all your classrooms an instant tech upgrade to be SMART classrooms. Students can bring their own devices and watch your presentations from their devices, giving every student a front-row seat regardless where they are actually seated in the physical classroom.
- Best of all, you and your students get to use ClassDo for free for such usage in the physical classrooms since you will not need videochat.
- Read more about using ClassDo in blended learning.